July 2010 Sharing Time Week 1 - Jesus always obeyed Heavenly Father

We are having a combined sharing time/singing time since it is Fast Sunday. So, if this seems like a lot that's why. ;)

I found this great reader's theater on Sophia's Primary ideas and adapted it for our sharing time.

Chairs set up in a circle with fire at center red tissue paper and firewood
stars that say I can be a Shining Star of Obedience Jesus always obeyed Heavenly Father
red orange & yellow construction paper and scissors

I put the role assignments under the chairs. Senior primary gets the speaking roles and junior primary non-speaking/helping. I'm having the kids without roles help set up the "stage", the fire & stars.

The costumes are really simple: blankets, camp chairs, hats.

Whenever someone says Jesus Christ always obeyed Heavenly Father we sing the first verse of Come Follow Me

Speaking Parts
Camper #1
Camper #2
Camper #3
(If we have fewer then 12 kids some can play 2 parts and/or teachers can help)
Angel #1 Actor 1
Angel #2 Actor 2
Mary Actor 3
John the Baptist Actor 4
Leper Actor 1
Centurian Actor 2
Man of the Company Actor 3
Blind Man Actor 4
Elder Whitney Actor 5

Possible Non Speaking Parts
A couple children can be bushes by the campers
A couple children can be non-speaking angels
A couple children can hold up stars above their heads and be stars

Props
!!!!Simple!!!!! Costumes blankets, hats, sleeping bags
Scriptures


Camper #1: I'm so excited to be camping, we usually go for the Fourth of July but this year it was Sunday so we went to church instead. It was great to feel the spirit in church and sing Patriotic Hymns. What is your favorite song to sing on the Fourth of July?

Camper #2 America the beautiful. I love all the descriptions of how beautiful our country is.

Camper #1 I love to hear the last verse of My Country tis of thee. You never hear it except at church. Our fathers’ God to thee, Author of liberty, To thee we sing. Long may our land be bright With freedom’s holy light. Protect us by thy might, Great God, our King!
Did you know there is a revelation in The Book of Mormon about America? “Behold,” says the revelation, “this [America] is a choice land, and whatsoever nation shall possess it shall be free from bondage, and from captivity, and from all other nations under heaven, if they will but serve the God of the land, who is Jesus Christ” (Ether 2:12). If we are obedient and serve the Lord our country will be protected what a wonderful promise.

Camper #3 My favorite song is The Star Spangled Banner because I love stars and because it’s fun to imagine I’m at a baseball game. I wonder if Sister Adams has ever played for a major league team? (laugh) Thanks for inviting me to your campout. What do you like best about camping?

Campers #1 & #2 SMORES!!!

Camper #3 While the treats are pretty awesome my favorite part is looking into the night sky and seeing all the beautiful stars. It makes me feel so special knowing Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ made all of it for us.

Camper #2: (Looking up) It's so big up there! It makes me feel so small!

Camper #1: We may be small, but we can do big things with our lives! All we have to do is follow the Savior. He gave us the perfect example, as well as His life.

Camper #3: Jesus Christ always obeyed Heavenly Father.

COME FOLLOW ME
Come follow me the Savior said Then let us in his footsteps tread For thus alone can we be one With God’s own loved begotten son

Camper #3: He always obeyed Heavenly Father

Camper #2: Always?

Camper #1 and #3: Always!!

Camper #1: Remember the pre-existence?

Angel #1: I can't hear what Heavenly Father just said!!!

Angel #2: Shh!!! Whisper!! He just said “Whom shall I send?”1

Angel #1: Well... what else!?! I can't see anything with all these people. Not to mention my ears are still ringing from everyone shouting for joy at the plan of salvation!2

Angel #1: Ok, Ok... I think I got it. Jehovah...

Angel #2: You mean Jesus?

Angel #1: Yes, Jehovah is one of His many names. So Jehovah just said, "Here I am, send me...Father, thy will be done, and the glory be thine forever"3

Camper #3: Even before we were born on earth, Jesus obeyed Heavenly Father.

COME FOLLOW ME
Come follow me the Savior said Then let us in his footsteps tread For thus alone can we be one With God’s own loved begotten son

Camper #2: Hey I remember! Jesus obeyed Heavenly Father as a child too!

COME FOLLOW ME
Come follow me the Savior said Then let us in his footsteps tread For thus alone can we be one With God’s own loved begotten son

Mary: "Son, why hast thou thus dealt with us? behold, thy father and I have sought thee sorrowing."4

Camper #2: And Jesus replied thoughtfully to His mother, "How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Father's business?"5

Camper #1: I would have been so scared to be lost!!

Camper #3: Mary and Joseph might have thought Jesus was lost, but He wasn't at all. He was being obedient and teaching truth. His Father's truth. Jesus was diligent and obedient as a child, and also throughout His entire life on earth.

Camper #2: Remember when Jesus was baptized?

Camper #1: He was perfect and had no sin, His baptism wasn't to cleanse him but to show He would do anything Heavenly Father asked Him to. John the Baptist didn't even want to baptize Him at first because he knew Jesus was perfect.

John the Baptist: "I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?"6

Camper #3: Yet John baptized Him and a dove came down from heaven as well as Heavenly Father's voice when He said, "This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased."

Camper #1: No wonder Heavenly Father was pleased, Jesus always listened and did what needed to be done. Jesus always obeyed Heavenly Father.

COME FOLLOW ME
Come follow me the Savior said Then let us in his footsteps tread For thus alone can we be one With God’s own loved begotten son

Leper: "Lord, if thou wilt, thou canst make me clean."7

Centurion: "Lord, I am not worthy that thou shouldest come under my roof: but speak the word only, and my servant shall be healed."8

Man of the company: " Master, I beseech thee, look upon my son: for he is mine only child. And, lo, a spirit taketh him, and he suddenly crieth out; and it teareth him that he foameth again, and bruising him hardly departeth from him. And I besought thy disciples to cast him out; and they could not"9

Blind Man: "A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed mine eyes, and said unto me, Go to the pool of Siloam, and wash: and I went and washed, and I received sight."10

Camper #3: Jesus healed the sick, cast out devils and helped all those around him. One of my favorite scriptures is John 6:38 where Jesus Himself says, "For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me."

Camper #1: I wonder if on the night of the atonement our Savior saw as many stars as we see tonight. A latter day apostle, Elder Orsen F. Whitney had a vision of the Garden of Gethsemane and on seeing Jesus weep he said...

Elder Whitney: “I was so moved at the sight that I also wept, out of pure sympathy. My whole heart went out to Him; I loved Him with all my soul, and longed to be with Him as I longed for nothing else”11

Camper #2: Even as He was suffering so much, and in so much pain, we see His total obedience to Heavenly Father when Jesus said, "O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt"12

Camper #3: Jesus Christ always obeyed Heavenly Father.
COME FOLLOW ME
Come follow me the Savior said Then let us in his footsteps tread For thus alone can we be one With God’s own loved begotten son

I can follow in His footsteps and do my best too!

ALL: We will be obedient like our Savior!

Camper #2: I can do all I need to do! I look at the stars above me and know that while I'm small, I shine big by my obedience to Heavenly Father.

I will follow God’s plan for me
My life is a gift my life has a plan my life has a purpose in Heaven it began my choice was to come to this lovely home on earth and seek for God’s light to direct me from birth I will follow God’s plan for me holding fast to His word and his love I will work and I will pray I will always walk in his way Then I will be happy on earth and in my home above

ALL: We will do Heavenly Father's will always!

Camper #1: In the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

____________________________________________________
1 Abraham 3:27
2 Job 38:7
3 Moses 4:1-2
4 Luke 2:48
5 Luke 2:49
6 Matthew 3:14
7 Matthew 8:2
8 Matthew 8:8
9 Luke 9:38-40
10 John 9:11
11 “The Divinity of Jesus Christ,” Improvement Era, Jan. 1926, 224–25; see also Ensign, Dec. 2003, 10
12 Matthew 26:39


Discussion questions

Who should we obey?
What do they ask us to do?
Why should we do it?
If ever you are confused about what to do pray to know.

No comments: